Saturday, December 29, 2007

December in Obera

Living with Caro and celebrating La Noche Buena


In the end of November, I moved into a new apartment with roommates, Carolina (Caro) and Vivi, whom I met through a friend of mine who was teaching English on a Fulbright Scholarship in Obera. Caro has taken me in like a sister. Not only do we drink mate, cook and eat lunch and dinner together, wash clothes and clean the apartment together, but she also brings me along to her family’s house for lunch and siesta on the weekends. I have become an adopted member of her family. Due to my friendship with Caro, I now feel like I have truly acclimated to the culture of Obera to the point that at times I forget that I am living in another country, speaking another language, eating different food, etc. I now wash my clothes by hand, make a delicious mate, and cook guiso (a local dish, that is much like stew with beef, vegetables and rice or pasta.)
Caro and her family invited me to celebrate the Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) with them. In Argentina, families observe the birth of Christ in a very different way then the U.S. typically celebrates. First of all, Argentina is in the midst of summer, where the temperature of Obera is anywhere from 80 to 100 degrees. Typically, families gather for asado (grilled meat) for dinner anywhere from 9 to 11pm. When the clock strikes 12, fireworks are set off, and champagne is shared. I was blessed to be able to share this experience with Caro and her family. After sharing some champagne with the family, we headed out to visit other families. It was amazing to me that children and grandparents were up with their families at 2am celebrating Christmas Day! Then, I joined Caro, and all the other young people of Obera, in the streets for drinks and dancing. We danced until 5am, when I then went to the Christmas Sunrise service, the Swedish tradition celebrated in the Lutheran Church here, with its Swedish heritage.







Drinking mate with Caro in the plaza



















La Escuelita Biblica and Christmas in San Martin

I have been involved with the activities with the children and the bible school in San Martin. For the week leading up to Christmas, the church in San Martin, “Dios Es Amor,” had a week long bible school, which lasted for two hours in the afternoon, Monday through Friday. During the bible school, the children heard the story of Christ’s birth, made Christmas trees and other Christmas decorations, and rehearsed the nativity scene for the Christmas service. The older children also memorized versus of Christmas poems, to recite in the Christmas service, which I believe comes from the Finish or German Christmas tradition. We had over fifty children attend the bible school, which was quite impressive for the size of the community.
On December 23rd, “Dios Es Amor” celebrated Christmas. The church was filled to the brim, with people standing outside of the church. A church with normally 40 people now held 180. We sang Christmas carols and watched the nativity play and heard the children recite their versus. Then we had the Christmas raffle, which the church members had put together to raise money for the church community. And then Papa Noelle (Santa Clause) visited the children in the church. After the children received candy from Papa Noelle, the community shared sparkling cider and sweet bread, toasting to Christ’s birth.


Christmas was a different experience for me this year, however I was blessed to be able to share in the preparing of the way and celebration of the birth of Jesus with my new family members in Christ.







Children's Bible School in San Martin














“Let the Star of the Morning Rise”
from “Guerrillas of Grace” by Ted Loder

Lord God,
In the deepest night
There rises the star of morning,
of birth,
the herald of a new day you are making,
a day of great joy dawning
in yet faint shafts
of light and love.

I hear whispers of peace in the stillness,
fresh breezes of promise
stirring,
winter sparrows
chirping of life,
a baby’s cry
of need
and hope –
Christmas!

In the darkness I see the light
and find it in comfort,
confidence,
cause for celebration,
for the darkness cannot overcome it;
and I rejoice to nourish it
in myself,
in other people,
in the world
for the sake of him
in whom it was born
and shines forever,
even Jesus the Christ.

No comments: