Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Three Weeks of Camping in Panambi

In the month of January, my responsibilities as the Young Adult Global Volunteer in Obera, Misiones, Argentina changed. I was a camp leader with the United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Argentina and Uruguay’s (IELU) Northern District camping trips in Panambi, Misiones with Reverend Clovis Kurtz and Josh Ebener, student pastor with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. Panambi sits on the Parana River, which defines the border of Argentina and Brazil. In the three weeks that I spent camping, I was able to swim in the river and look over to my Brazilian neighbors. I could see a village with a beautiful center, with a grand church, surrounded by houses, on top of green rolling hills. I could see farms and cattle grazing on the grass. Panambi is an agricultural city, with yerba mate, tea, corn, tobacco, pine, corn, and cow farms. Olas Petri, the IELU church of Obera, has a plot of land that is owned for the purpose of church camping trips. There is land to set up tents and also a building with bathrooms and a large roof, or overhang, to provide some shelter for rain, as well as a space to eat, sing, and cook on the wood-burning stove.

The first week was a two-day, one-night camping trip with children from the ages of 6 to 11, from Obera and the surrounding villages. Youth from the church in Obera, Rodrigo, Silvia, and Marcos, were also part of the leadership team. I was blessed to have several children from San Martin, my site placement for the year, participate in these days. We spent our days swimming in the river, playing games, singing and fellowshipping together, praying together, cooking and eating together. The children seemed to have a wonderful time, and not a single one cried, which according to the pastor, is not the norm. What I especially appreciate from this week is that I now have a special bond with the girls from San Martin that attended the camp. I was blessed to have the time of fellowship with them.







The second week, was a five-day camping trip for youth from the ages 15 and up, from the entire Northern District of the IELU. The churches in Resistencia, Corrientes, Eldorado, Obera, and San Martin took part. I especially enjoyed getting to know the girls from Resistencia. Another treat for this week was that the YAGM in Resistencia, James Weber, also joined the leadership team, as well as Sergio, a seminary student from San Martin. During this week, the youth took more active roles in the daily chores required for the camp. The duties included cleaning the bathrooms, preparing and cooking the food, setting the table and cleaning the dishes. We also had a space for bible study, singing and fellowship. Perhaps my favorite part of the week was the scavenger hunt that Reverend Kurtz put together. Some of the activities during the hunt included bringing water from one container to the other, using only a cup and mouth, covering a male and female body with mud from the river, collecting snails from the river, filling balloons and plastic bags with the water from the river, collecting live ants, making a mud-man knee height, and making a skirt out of leaves from the trees. My group came in first place!







The third week was a five-day camping trip for youth from the ages of 11 to 14, from Obera and the surrounding villages. By this point, my energy was running a bit lower, and we had fewer leaders, but I made it through the week, again being blessed with the company of the youth and leaders. The youth in this age group also divided into groups and participated in the daily duties of the camp. Perhaps the moments that stick out as most memorable for this week are the walk that we took to get a beautiful view of the river, the water games, and the campfire that occurred on the last night of the trip. For the campfire, the youth came up with skits, jokes, and songs. They were so creative!







January was a distinct month for my time here in Misiones, Argentina. This is a month that will surely stay in my head and heart for the rest of the days of my life. Not only was it a time for intense fellowship with my Argentine brothers and sisters, but it was also an opportunity to commune with my God in the outdoors. I continually thank God for the daily blessings that I receive in this country.

No comments: